LET'S TALK TURKEY SAFETY!
Turkey Day (aka - Thanksgiving) is right around the corner and it is that time of the year again when family and friends come together for a feast. There are several ways to cook a turkey, but a favorite among some is deep fried. Unfortunately, we have all seen the videos (https://youtu.be/tSI79ZftCpU) that end in a fiery ball of poultry. If you plan on deep frying a turkey this year, please keep the following tips in mind.
- Thaw and Dry turkey completely before cooking.
- Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator approximately 24 hours for every 5 pounds, according to The National Turkey Federation (http://www.eatturkey.com/).
- Ice or water that mixes can cause flare-ups
- Fryer Setup
- Use fryer OUTDOORS and away from decks, garages, home, and other structures.
- Keep children and pets away from the fryer.
- Use on a flat surface to avoid accidental tipping. Make sure the tank and burner are at least 2+ feet apart.
- Measure the Oil
- Avoid overfilling by reading the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Be Prepared (SAFETY FIRST!)
- Use oven mitts to protect hands and/or arms.
- Safety goggles to protect eyes
- Have a grease-rated fire extinguisher nearby and ready.
- Finishing Act
- Remove pot from burner and place on a level surface.
- Allow oil to cool overnight before disposing of oil in a sealed container.
Most importantly, NEVER LEAVE FRYERS UNATTENDED!! Please be careful this holiday season and share these tips with your friends and family that enjoy fried turkey.
If you do become a victim of a deep-fryer fire, SERVPRO® of Rapid City is here to help. We are available 24/7/365 days a year @ 605-388-3000.
SERVPRO® of Rapid City would like everyone to have a safe holiday season with their family and friends.